All you will need, when you visit us!
Spas and beaches
Party places, concerts, events
Hotels and restaurants
Sights and attractions
Royal Palace (Királyi Palota)
Rebuilt in the 17th-19th centuries in baroque style, the Royal Palace dominates the southern part of the Castle Hill. The National Széchényi Library, (Széchényi Könyvtár) holding the country’s most important collections, book rarities; the Hungarian National Gallery (Magyar Nemzeti Galéria), the Ludwig Museum – Museum of Contemporary Art, displaying masterworks of contemporary art; Budapest History Museum (Budapest Történeti Múzeum) are housed in the Royal Palace.
Mathias Church (Mátyás templom)
Nearly as old as the Royal Palace, it was originally built in the 13th century, but later rebuilt several times. Its present neo-gothic style is the result of a renovation in the 19th century, when it became Buda’s main parish church.
During the Turkish occupation it was used as a mosque, its frescos were all whitewashed. The walls are again decorated with the most important events of the Hungarian history, together with biblical scenes.
Its stained glass windows are adorned with the artworks of Károly Lotz and Bertalan Székely.
The heavily worn painted majolica roof tiles (made by the Zsolnay Manufacture) of the church were removed, to replace them with new ones from the same manufacturer. The removed tiles were sold as souvenirs, to cover repairs. The church has excellent acoustics, so it often houses classical music concerts.
Mary Magdalene Tower (Mária Magdolna torony)
It is the only remain of an originally 13th-century church, severely damaged in World War II. Only the gothic style tower was restored. The tower operates as a lookout and plays – carillon every half hour.
City Park (Városliget)
Budapest City Park was among the first public parks in the world open to people for relaxation purposes. This place is packed with things to do and places to see.
The Budapest Zoo, housing nearly 500 animal breeds and 4000 plant species, is one of the world’s oldest Zoos. The stone elephants guarding the entrance recall the turn of the 19th-20th centuries.
The Amusement Park (Vidámpark) is an exceptional fun opportunity, with historical atmosphere. From the big wheel to the dodgem you can enjoy everything.
The Capital Circus of Budapest (Nagycirkusz) is located between the Amusement Park and the Zoo. The circus has been entertaining people for over 100 years.
One of Europe’s biggest bath complexes the Széchényi Thermal Bath (Széchényi Fürdő) was opened in 1913 as permanent medicinal bath. Functions as physiotherapy hospital from the 1960s, now offers a wide range of medical services.
The bath was recently renovated, fancy pools, whirling corridors, jacuzzis, sitting banks were installed, to make bathing even more delightful.
Castle District (Várnegyed)
The Castle District between the Dísz tér and the Matthias Church is one of Budapest’s most intimate and attractive walking areas. Visitors have a feeling of traveling back in time when walking through the narrow streets with old gas lamps, medieval buildings, baroque and late baroque palaces.
The Institute and Museum of Hungarian Military History (Hadtörténeti Intézet és Múzeum), and the Museum of Music History, (Zenetörténeti Múzeum) and the Hotel Buda Hilton are also in this district. The hotel’s courtyard encompasses the ruins a 13th-century Dominican cloister. It is worth to visit the legendary Ruszwurm Confectionery (Ruszwurm cukrászda). The confectionery was founded in the 19th century, not only the furniture, but the recipes are nearly 200 year old. The depths of Castle Hill hide a complex of caves; the section called “Labyrinth of Buda Castle” is open for the public.
Trinity Square (Szentháromság tér)
The Trinity Square is the centre of the Castle District. Its main ornament is the Trinity Statue, but also boasts the former Town Hall, the Matthias Church and the Hungarian House of Wines.
St. Stephen’s Basilica (Szent István bazilika)
Budapest’s biggest church is built in the mid-1800s, in classicistic and eclectic style. It has a unique dome with 360° panorama of Budapest, there is lift up to the dome. There are several artworks in the basilica commemorating the name giver, St. Stephen, founder of the Hungarian state and church.
Built in neo-gothic style at the turn of the 19th -20th century, its numerous small towers and fine stone laces make it the symbol of Budapest and of the Danube panorama. It is one of the biggest parliamentary buildings in the world, with a length of 265 metres. Inspired partly by the Palace of Westminster, the building is designed by Imre Steindl.
The sumptuous interior design with abundant golden ornaments is unique; governmental receptions are also held inside the dome hall. Since 2000, the Hungarian coronation symbols —St. Stephen’s crown, the sceptre, and the orb— have been on display in the Parliament.
Vajdahunyad Castle (Vajdahunyad vára)
Another centrepiece of Városliget is the rather bizarre Vajdahunyad Castle, originally built of cardboard and wood in honour of the millenary celebrations. The structure was built in a variety of architectural styles ranging from romanesque to baroque, intended to represent each century since the arrival of the Magyars. It became so popular that it was rebuilt in brick and it is housing the Museum of Hungarian Agriculture (Magyar Mezőgazdasági Múzeum).
Inner City (Belváros)
The Inner City is always crowded with tourists. There are many attractions in this area all-round the year both for tourists and inhabitants; Vörösmarty square, with the famous Gerbaud Confectionery, the Fashion Street, Danube Promenade, the Vigadó Concert Hall. The Vigadó (unfortunately closed for the time being) attracted leading artists of the world, such as Ferenc Liszt, Wagner, Richard Strauss and Zoltán Kodály.
Heroes’ square (Hősök tere)
The Heroes’ square at the end of Andrássy Street, commemorating the important events of the Hungarian history, is built for the millenary celebrations.
In the middle of the square, there is a 36 m high column, topped by a statue of the archangel Gabriel, who brought the crown for the first king of Hungary, St. Stephen (Szt.István).
At the base of the column there is a group of seven mounted figures representing the Magyar chieftains who led the Hungarian people into the Carpathian basin. In the semi-circular arcades of the monument there are statues of the great kings, leaders, statesmen of Hungary.
At the opposite sides of the Heroes’ square there are two famous cultural institutions: the Museum of Fine Arts (Szépművészeti Múzeum and the Műcsarnok (Art Hall).
Gellért Hill, Citadel
Almost all tourists visit the Citadel, to enjoy the scenic panorama of Budapest city.
The Pál-völgyi cave is rich in dripstones. It is the longest cave system of the Buda mountains, and the third most extended one in Hungary
The cave is in the register of highly protected natural values since 1944.
It has been explored to a length of 7200 m and to a depth of 104 m.
The cave has a permanent temperature of 11°C; warm clothing and training shoes are recommended!
Lower age limit for the long trail: 5 years.
Margit-sziget (Margit Island)
The historical Margit Island is in the middle of the Danube, in the central part of Budapest.
It is literally the island of relaxation, peace and sport, because no motor vehicle can drive in, except public transport.
There are many tourist attractions on the island, among others: the Palatinus Beach, open from Spring to Autumn, the Alfréd Hajós National Swimming Stadium, where trains the olympic champion Hungarian water polo team, the ruins of a Dominican convent, the Japanese Garden full of sunbathing turtles, the 5 km long rubber coated jogging track, furthermore famous restaurants, open air clubs in the summer, two luxury hotels, and the Rose Garden.
Szentendre is a popular destination for tourists; 8 km from Budapest, at the gate of the Danube Bend in the meeting point of the Danube, plain and mountains.
The town often mentioned as “jewel box of the Danube Bend” has the proud name “City of Arts” as well. It has a particular Mediterranean atmosphere, due to the settlement of Serb, Dalmatian, Greek population after the liberation from the Turks. Let’s spend a day or a weekend in Szentendre! Children and adult both can enjoy the attractions of this small riverside town!
Normafa (Norma Tree)
Normafa is on the Svábhegy (Sváb Hill) in the very neighbourhood of the János-hegy (János Hill). The János-hegy, the highest point of Budapest, it rises to 529 metre.
This site is favoured for the splendid panorama and fresh air.
Normafa is the starting point of several excursion trails. If you decide to make an excursion, put on suitable clothing, and never forget your map or GPS, because the signs of tourist trails are often faded.It is the easiest to get there by the cog wheel train. Its lower terminal is of two tram stations distance from Széll Kálmán tér, the upper terminal is on the Széchenyi-hegy (Széchenyi Hill), not far from the Panorama Hotel.
Labyrinth of Buda Castle
The Labyrinth of Buda Castle is part of the complex of caves underneath the Buda Castle.
There is no need of special physical effort to explore the labyrinth. There are no ladders; the cave has been transformed into a tunnel system during the Turkish occupation.
During the World War II it served as a shelter for so many inhabitants of Budapest, that the postman regularly carried letters to the Labyrinth. Red wine is running from a small wall fountain – it is a particular attraction of the cave. Prehistoric cave paintings can also be seen, it is an excellent tour for children as well.
Várbarlang (Castle Cave)
The recently opened deep cellar system was used as a command post and a storage facility by the German Army in the World War II.
Guided tours are available in English and German.
The Szemlőhegyi Cave is one of Europe’s most beautiful cave systems. It is famous of its spectacular mineral formations. More accessible than the Pál-völgyi Cave, it can be visited even together with small children.
The cave is in the register of highly protected natural values.Tours are starting every hour. The temperature of the cave is11°C all year round, warm clothing is recommended!
Europe’s most fascinating cultural avenue comprising 18 museums, theatres with interesting performances, the Opera House, the Basilica, the Synagogue, the Amusement Park and the Zoo, is in Budapest.
Museum of Fine Arts (Szépművészeti Múzeum)
The museum collects and houses universal artworks from the Antiquity till now.
The collection is made up of six departments: Egyptian Art, Classical Antiquities, Sculpture, Old Master Paintings, Prints and Drawings, Department of Art after 1800. World famous artworks, as:Exekias’ black figure amphora, Raphael’s Esterhazy Madonna, works of El Greco, Velázquez and Goya, Dürer’s Portrait of a Young Man, Manet’s Lady with a fan, Leonardo’s Mounted Warrior are exhibited. Including artworks of the most famous artists, all periods of European fine arts are showcased.
The Budapest Museum of Fine Arts is one of Europe’s most significant museums.Its collection is highly ranked, due to the diversity, historical continuity, abundance of masterpieces.
Transport Museum (Közlekedési Múzeum)
The state owned Transport Museum is in the City Park, in the 14th district of Budapest. Its collection is acquired from Hungary.
Beyond the central building it has more exhibition halls in Budapest and all-round the country. It is one of the oldest technical collections of Hungary. The Transport Museum and the Museum of Science and Technology were merged in 2008.The new institution is called Hungarian Museum of Science, Technology and Transport. One of the outstanding buildings of the millenary exhibitions in 1896 was the Hall of Transport. The development of the transport in Hungary, especially the railway was showcased at this exhibition. The Hungarian Royal Transport Museum was inaugurated in the same building in 1899 and received visitors during 45 years. Its collection was based on that of the millenary exhibition. In 1944 the museum was hit by bomb. The considerably reduced building, what lost even its ornated dome, was reopened in 1966 after restoration. A new wing was added to the building in 1987.
House of Terror (Terror Háza)
Today a museum, but it was a real house of terror during two shameful and tragic periods of the 20th century.
In 1944 during the fascist terror regime, it was a Nazi headquarter, in 1945-1956 it was the communist terror organisation ÁVO’s and its successor ÁVH’s headquarter. The Museum is a monument to the memory of those held captive, tortured and killed in this building, and to all victims of the dictatures. While presenting the horrors in a tangible way, also intends to make people understand that the sacrifice for freedom was not in vain.
The multimedia exhibition presents in chronological order the two Hungarian terror regime periods.Terror Háza
Dohány Street Synagogue – Jewish Museum (Dohány Utcai Zsinagóga – Zsidó Múzeum)
Museum of Ethnography (Néprajzi Múzeum)
The idea of founding dates back to the 5th March, 1872– when János Xántus was appointed to head of the Ethnographic Department of the Hungarian National Museum. The Museum of Ethnography commemorates this by the “Day of Museum of Ethnography” on every 5th of March. Its first exhibition is also related to János Xántus. The permanent exhibition “Traditional Culture of the Hungarians” offers visitors a glimpse of the culture of the Hungarian peasantry through every day and festival relics. A library is operating in the museum. The building was constructed in 1893-1896, after the plans of Alajos Hauszmann for the Supreme Court and served as palace of Justice up to 1949.
A permanent exhibition showcases the history of Hungary from the state foundation to 1990.
Another permanent exhibition presents the history of people of the Hungarian lands from 400.000 BC to 804 AD.
The Lapidarium houses one of Hungary’s most significant Roman stone collections.
Műcsarnok (Art Hall)
The exhibition hall on Heroes’ Square was built in 1896 for the millennium celebrations. It was designed by Albert Schikedanz (1846-1915) with the contribution of Fülöp Ferenc Herzog (1860–1925).The building is arranged in the principle of a three-aisle cathedral. The eclectic, neo classicistic façade is ornated with portico and tympanum. In the tympanum there is a mosaic of Jenő Haranghy titled: St. Stephen, patron of arts. The elongated raw brick building is ornated with colourful ceramic frieze. Lajos Deák Ébner decorated the hall with a fresco.
The building was renovated in 1991-1994.Outstanding artworks of Hungarian and international contemporary artists are exhibited in the Art Hall.
Hungarian Natural History Museum ( Magyar Természettudományi Múzeum)
Hungarian Natural History Museum is third oldest museum in Europe. More than 10 million items are housed in its scientific collections. Its exhibitions put on show the natural curiosities, beauties of the Carpathian Basin and of the whole world in an extraordinary, interactive way. In 1802 Count Ferenc Széchényi donated his library and medal collection to the Hungarian Nation, to establish a public scientific centre, a national library. The future Hungarian National Museum and the Széchényi Library were based on this donation. The mineral collection of Julianna Festetics, the Count’s wife, served as the base for the future Department of Natural Sciences.
Museum of Applied Arts (Iparművészeti Múzeum)
Established in 1872, on the initiative of Ferenc Pulszky; it is the third Museum of Applied Arts in Europe. “Universal antiquities” were transferred from the Hungarian National Museum, as the core of the historical collection. Purchases at world exhibitions, and gifts of famous companies, as the Herend Porcelain Manufactory, the Zsolnay Manufacture enriched the contemporary collections. The National Museum held the collection till 1877, and then it was transferred to the Old Art Hall in the Andrássy street. The gradually growing collection needed an own building, the Government called for bid in 1890 to the planning. The realization of the award winning plans of Ödön Lechner and Gyula Pártos could start only in 1893. The palace was inaugurated in the frame of the millenary celebrations, in the presence of Ferenc József I., on the 25th October, 1896.The architect himself recognized that the building had “too Hindi” appearance. The interior frescos of Károly Reissmann, were whitewashed in 1920.Only small part of his artwork survived. In the Second World War the palace was damaged. The destroyed parts of the building (main entrance, main dome, glass hall) were restored in 1949.The Museum of Applied Arts lost its independence, in 1934-1948 functioned as Department of Applied Arts to the Hungarian National Museum.
Hungarian State Opera House (Magyar Állami Operaház)
The Hungarian State Opera House is Hungary’s only theatre with a large theatre company specialized expressly for opera and ballet performances.
Designed by Miklós Ybl, the neo-renaissance building is one of Budapest’s most important 19th century monuments.
Interior ornamentation includes paintings and sculptures by leading figures of Hungarian art of the time: Mór Than, Károly Lotz, Bertalan Székely.
The Hungarian Royal Opera House was opened amid great pomp and ceremony on the 27th September, 1884 in the presence of Ferenc József I. The opening program, conducted by Ferenc Erkel, was the overture to the opera László Hunyadi, the first act of the opera Bánk Bán and the first act of Lohengrin. The theatre company came to an artistic crisis very soon, since neither in headcount, nor in artistic level could cope with the demands. Financial problems emerged in addition to the artistic crisis. Gustav Mahler, the composer was the director from 1887 to 1891. During this period the situation changed, it was the opera’s first golden age. The World War I. throws the development of the theatre back; the Opera House was even closed for a year. Thanks to the directors Miklós Radnai and László Márkus there was a period of prosperity between the two world wars. The Opera House survived the World War II. with minor damages, therefore it could reopen in March 1945.Hungarian State Opera House is the official name of the institution since 1945.In 1951 due to the increased public demand, the City Theatre (Városi Színház), from 1953 called Erkel Theatre (Erkel Színház ) became secondary building of the Hungarian State Opera. The Opera houses the Hungarian National Ballet as well.
National Theatre (Nemzeti Színház)
Opened originally in 1837, under the name of Pesti Magyar Theatre, its theatre company was housed in different locations; in the Blaha Lujza square (1908-1964) and then in the building of the Magyar Theatre at the Hevesi Sándor square (1966–2000). Its present building opened on the 15th March, nearly one century after the demolishing of its first premises.
Pesti Magyar Theatre (Pesti Magyar Színház)
Opened in 1837, changed its name to National Theatre (Nemzeti Színház) in 1840. The theatre regained its old name in 2000, with the building of the new National Theatre.
Palace of Arts (Művészetek Palotája)
The Palace of Arts (nicknamed Műpa) is Budapest’s latest multifunctional cultural establishment with 21st century technological infrastructure. The versatility of the building makes it suited to house music, visual arts and theatre performances of the highest level. Exhibition halls, concert hall and theatre of the cultural complex are independent from each other, they can separately establish the programs.
Pesti Broadway (Broadway of Pest)
The Nagymező utca connects the Klauzál tér with the Bajcsy-Zsilinszky út, and crosses the Adrássy út in the 6th district of Budapest. The name of the street refers to a big field in the 18th century. „Feld Gasse” was the street’s name in the 18th century, then „Grosse Feld Gasse” in the 19th century. The Hungarian name „Nagymező” is the mirror translation of the original German one. Due to the high number of theatres in this area, it is nicknamed „Broadway of Pest”. The Radnóti Miklós Theatre, the Mikroszkóp Theatre, the Thalia Theatre, the Tivoli Theatre, and the Budapest Operetta Theatre are all in this area. In addition to the theatres, there are many attractions in this area: the Mai Manó Gallery in the Hungarian House of Photography, the Ernst Museum, and the popular Moulin Rouge night club, the Béla Bartók Secondary School of Music, the Terézváros telephone exchange building (former Mercure Palace), the Terézváros Roman Catholic parish church as well. There are other monuments worth to see in this street: a three storey romantic style house built by 1860, under no.6; a three storey romantic style corner house, with classicistic corridor grids, under no. 12; a three storey classicistic corner house from 1830, under no. 14. Its façade is decorated with median risalit and its inner yard with classicistic grids.
Franz Liszt Academy of Music (Zeneakadémia)
The Franz Liszt Academy of Music is a music university and one of the most significant Hungarian concert sites. Its present building is one of the most renowned monuments in the 6th district of Budapest. The Royal Academy of Music was founded in 1875 in Liszt’s apartment. In 1879 an independent building was erected for the Academy, in the crossing of Andrássy út-Vörösmarty utca. Because of the increasing number of teachers and students the Academy moved into its present building, in 1907, under the directorship of Ödön Mihalovich. The Budapest Academy of Music with excellent concert halls became important centre of the Hungarian and European music. When moving, the old building was sold; it was bought back and occupied again only in the 1980s.The Old Academy is home to the Liszt Ferenc Society, the Hungarian Kodály Society and Liszt Ferenc Memorial Museum and Research Centre. The present building of the Academy is on the Liszt Ferenc tér. It is a masterpiece of art nouveau architure. Designed by the architects Flóris Korb and Kálmán Giergl, the construction started in 1904.Both structure and workmanship are of excellent value. The Great Hall of the Academy is an outstanding artwork of the early armoured concrete architecture. Unique masterpieces of great value among others: stained glass and glass mosaic works of Miksa Róth, antic-style carved wooden friezes and reliefs of Ede Telcs, friezes of Károly Senyei, István Gróh, murals of Aladár Körösfői Kriesch, and eosin tiles of Zsolnay Manufacture are decorating the Academy. The main entrance is ornated with the monumental Liszt statue of Alajos Stróbl.
Katona József Theatre (Katona József Színház )
The company of the Katona József Theatre started in 1982.Within short time became a prominent artistic theatre of Budapest They have a sophisticated, internationally recognised repertoire. The theatre company has toured in 40 countries of 5 continents.
Spas & beaches
Dagály Bath (Dagály Fürdő)
Király Bath (Király Fürdő)
Arslan, the Pasha of Buda begun the construction of this bath in 1565 and was completed under the rule of his successor, Sokoli Mustafa. The Turks built the bath far from the springs to ensure the opportunity for bathing within the walls of the castle, even in an eventual siege. Its water was supplied at that time, and is being supplied now, from the wells in the area of the current Lukács Bath. Originally water supply was carried out in larch canals by gravitational means. Actually closed pipes are providing the water supply of the bath. In 1796 the König (in Hungarian Király) family acquired the bath. The name of the bath is stemming from the name of the family.
Lukács Thermal Bath and Swimming Pool (Lukács Gyógyfürdő)
As early, as in the Roman period the hot springs of this site were known and exploited. Inscription from the period of Caesar Claudius mentions the “upper and lower hot water springs” (aqua calidae superiores et inferiores).In the 9th- 10th century there was a settlement on the territory of the present Császár and Lukács baths, called “Felhévíz”. The “hévíz” part of this name means in Hungarian thermal water. According to historical sources, in the 12th century Knights Hospitallers, providing care for poor, sick and injured, settled in this area. First, in 1178 the Knights of the Order of Saint John, later the Orders of Rhodes and Malta built here monasteries, baths, and hospitals. According to written evidences, there was already a Malom (Mill) lake on this territory in the medieval ages. There are two memorial benches in the sycamore garden of the bath. Both were donated by the descendants of the regular visitors of the bath (György Schiller and Júlia Lux were the former visitors. Actually a concrete pathway is leading to the main entrance of the bath through the garden. A more aesthetical solution is planned during the reconstruction. The bath is supplied with water from the 30 m deep lake of the 6 km long Molnár János cave .János Molnár physician, chemist reported first about the existence of the cave in 1858, in a medical weekly paper. The lake cave nourishing the Lukács Thermal Bath was first explored in 1937 by Ferenc Papp speleologist; from the sixties divers are continuing the explorations.
Dandár Bath (Dandár Fürdő)
Rudas Thermal Bath (Rudas Fürdő)
The centerpiece of the bath today, the Turkish bath, was built during the Turkish occupation The bath is located at the Erzsébet Bridge’s Buda side. The artistically constructed and decorated bath was built directly over the springs, due to religious reasons. According to the Islam, only running water is suitable for body hygiene. Still water is not suitable for this purpose, so they could flush the body before bathing. We inherited the Rudas (its original Turkish name: bath with green column) from that period. Its water is radio-active hot spring water with calcium-magnesium-hydrogen-carbonate, sodium and sulphate containing significant amount of fluoride ions. Therapeutic suggestions: degenerative joint diseases, arthritis, discus hernia, neuralgia, calcium deficiency.
The Széchenyi Thermal Bath is the largest spa complex of Budapest and Europe. It was built in 1913 after the plan of Győző Czigler. The bath receives its thermal water from the St. Stephen II. well, bored 1938.Its cold water supply is performed by 6 other, smaller wells. There are 3 outdoor and 15 indoor pools in the complex. Wide range of therapies and a daytime outpatient hospital are available in the complex. The first artesian well of the bath was bored in 1868-1878; its 74,5°C water is erupting from 970 m depth. The second artesian well was bored in 1936; it is the hottest thermal spring of Europe – 77°C water is erupting from 1240 m depth.